All in a Day's Dance

Competition dance season is upon us.

DQ is competing in both jazz and hip hop this season and Saturday was our first comp.

It's all definately a rush.

For her mostly, but as a "dance mom" I must say that I really love all that goes in the big events.

The chaos in the dressing rooms is a blur of sequins, feathers, and makeup.

Makeup.

Yeah, not hubby and my favorite part.

I understand it's for the stage and to be seen, but well...anyway.

There's always that last minute anticipation too.

Sweating because the last girl hasn't shown up and they're running ahead of schedule for once.

Adrenalin pumping as the next number up is yours and your teacher and the music is just parking the car.

You're announced and then you are on stage, the lights bright and hot. It's hip hop, and her team rocked it.

Hats stayed on, knee-hi socks didn't roll, totally on, in sync, and just nailed it all.

Second rush...because we started a little late we need to get back out there quick with our next number approaching.

The dressing room is stagnant with adolescent sweat. Costumes flying, new ones yanked on.

Tights pulled tight (please don't rip), makeup, hair, arm bands adhered with double-sided tape.

Jazz.

Think tutus, pink leopard outfit, diamond shades, feather boas, and a pink leopard step stool prop.

Props. So many things can go awry.

Song aptly named, "Fabulous" from High School Musical.

Don't. Slip. Off. Stools.

Phew.

And, they were fab!

Final awards, 5 hours later....

Earning High Gold award, Darling Divas Award, plus top 3 overall performances for their age group. Holla!

Despite the 12 hour day, my shy, quiet, bookworm is a shining star on the stage and just loves it all!

They're off to a great start, we do it again in 2 weeks.

Maybe this dance mom will actually take her camera out of the car next time.

35 supporters in group:

  1. A Christian Mom said...

    Way to go! Sounds like it was crazy, but fun.

  2. Martha said...

    Congrats! Fabulous is on of my favorite HSM songs!!! Perfect for a diva of any age!

  3. Anonymous said...

    Congrats! She is great!

  4. Deb said...

    Congrats to the girls! That sounds like fun.

  5. Beth said...

    Congrats to DQ. And for the reason you just described, I finally went and bought ANOTHER camera that would fit in my purse. No more excuses for me. My poor children have had tons of photo ops that I missed because of forgetting the camera.

  6. Unknown said...

    Congrats to your daughter. Sounds like a lot of fun. I want to get my dd in dance as she gets older.

  7. SavvySuzie said...

    Man, that brings back memories! I used to love competition season, my mom was such a trouper :) Congrats to your group!

  8. Unknown said...

    Wow great...I remember the nervousness of waiting for my dd to go on stage...but then she was only 4 and she has since given up on doing anything "fun" for me!!

    Congrats to yours!!

  9. Sarah said...

    This post brings me back to my dance competition days, those are some of my best memories I have. My daughter is 4 right now and loves dance, I hope she continues with it!

  10. lmt1073 said...

    Ahh, I remember the joys of dance competition... then she outgrew it or says she did... now it's cheerleading and softball! Either way, I am one of those moms!!!

  11. Anonymous said...

    aww man, I kept scrolling for pics - you forgot your camera? Boo...

    Just kidding! Yah!!!! They won all that recongition, they had to have rocked the show! CONGRATS

  12. Tiffany said...

    I can't wait to see pictures!

  13. April said...

    Yeah DQ! Really Mom....we need some photos!

  14. Brittany said...

    OMG YAY!! I would find it JUST as exciting! Who doesn't love makeup and dancing!?

  15. Patois42 said...

    Holy-moly, Batman, that sounds so invigorating. Congrats on the win!

  16. Anonymous said...

    What?! NO PICTURES?!

    Way to go, DQ!!

  17. Shawn said...

    Wow, that sounds awesome!

  18. Mariah said...

    I'm in it too, but it's soccer and let me tell you, adolescent sweat after a game in the car for two hours is... well, disgusting.

    Don't forget your camera next time!! I want to see costumes

  19. The Bertone's said...

    Awesome!
    My daughter is joining dance this fall. She loves to dance..everyday all day, all thru my house!

  20. Tenakim said...

    Sounds so fun and exciting and I know how great it is to see them excel in something! Way to go DQ!

  21. Lindsay said...

    WTG.. that sounds like tough work! We def. need some pictures/video next time :-)

  22. Lynn C Mama to 3 said...

    I think the funniest part of these types of activities (be it dance, sports, etc) is that the kids don't notice half of the craziness the moms go through.

  23. wife.mom.nurse said...

    Dance Rocks! Sounds like a wild day.
    I so hear the not crazy about the make-up comment. Yikes, what are they thinking? ")

    The princess here is in "funky jazz". I was shaking in my boots when it was time to see what costume was going to be picked this season. (Think Madonna meets Beyonce! NOT!) Thankfully the one chosen will be just fine on the 9-12 year olds who will be funky and jazzy in it ")

  24. Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

    Congrats to her!

    I used to love the competitions...although I hated waiting around between our performances.

  25. Cheryl Lage said...

    Oh that sounds like work, but LOTS of fun.

    I want to be a dance mom, but think the closest I may get is gyrating twins listening to Brock House in the den.

    Kudos on the accomplishments!

  26. Jenni said...

    No pictures???? You OWE us! LOL!

    Congrats to DQ! How exciting!

  27. Kristen Andrews said...

    it is fun, I dance for 18 years and did the compeitions, it will keep her out of trouble. I dance 6 days a week so it didn't allow for any trouble.

  28. mama's smitten said...

    Awe ! I remember those days! Dance competitions was my LIFE as a little girl. Now I teach . I don not do compitition though . It is so so time consuming and I have a young family. I am a dance mom to my 6year old but ironically because dance is not her first love I am also a soccer mom, t-ball mom and a brownie mom! it was nice to meet you!

  29. beth said...

    12 hours? The dedication of a dance Mom always amazed me. It least it sounds like you enjoy it.

  30. Stacy Uncorked said...

    Congrats to your daughter! Sounds like she loves it! Yes, please, pictures next time! ;)

  31. VisibleSoulPhotography said...

    That's exactly what we did this weekend!

    6 dances...6 golds! Woohoo!

    You weren't in Houston were you??

  32. Tasha said...

    Psst. You won 2nd place in my Shecky's contest. :P Come and claim! Yay!

  33. Eyeglasses & Endzones said...

    ((JAZZ HANDS))!!! My best friends daughter is a competition dancer and being that I have all boys I live through her with all of this GIRL stuff!!! I know that it is a ton of work and I hear you on the make up but, when you see all the girls they look great...whoa, who knew I had so much to say???Yes, Take pictures!!!

  34. Unknown said...

    Great job! Reminds me of my dance recitals as a little girl! So glad they did so well!

  35. akawest said...

    Oh, it was fun reading about someone in the thick of dance competitions. I have never come across a blog of a dance mom.

    My older daughter competed from age eight through senior year of high school, which was 2005.

    She is now a dancer at Walt Disney World.

    I sometimes miss those long, long days of sitting and clapping.

Related Posts with Thumbnails